Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

View Our Practice Areas

San Antonio Legal Blog

When a divorce agreement is no longer agreeable

Our clients at the Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C., often work hard to reach a divorce agreement with their former spouses. That is why we know exactly what the terms of a divorce mean — in a legal and a personal sense. For the majority of our clients, these documents represent hours of discussions and weeks of waiting.

We respect the gravity of divorces, but we also realize that agreements are not immutable documents. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and it is perfectly reasonable to assume that you might find yourself in a situation necessitating the alteration of your divorce terms. We work to develop a strategy that communicates your necessity for a change to both your former spouse, if possible, and the court, if necessary. 

When a car wreck results in catastrophic burn injuries

At the Law Office of Roland R Esparza, PC, in Texas, we know the devastating burn injuries you can receive in a car crash. Burns are some of the most painful injuries you can suffer, and burn victims sometimes die from their injuries. Luckily, vehicle fire fatalities are much rarer than home fire fatalities. The American Burn Association reports that in 2016, 3,275 Americans died from fire or smoke inhalation, but only 310 of them died in a vehicle.

Per the Columbia St. Mary's Regional Burn Center, you can suffer burn injuries four ways in a car crash as follows:

  1. You can come into contact with the fire’s flames or touch an extremely hot surface in your car, thereby sustaining a thermal burn.
  2. You can come into contact with hot gasoline or other liquid, thereby sustaining a scald burn.
  3. You can come into contact with a downed power line if your car hits an electrical pole, thereby sustaining an electrical burn.
  4. You can come into contact with one of your car’s caustic fluids, thereby sustaining a chemical burn.

Your rights as a father: 3 tips for fighting for parenting time

As a divorcing father, you may fear that the court will have a gender bias. You may assume you will get minimal access to your kids no matter what. Thankfully, this is not true. You have important rights that you need to exercise as a dad. 

It is possible to get joint custody of your children. Here are some tips for increasing your chances of receiving equal parenting time:

The damaging costs of spinal cord injury

When Texan residents get into a serious car crash, they could end up facing damage to the spinal cord. Spine-related injuries are some of the most complex and potentially debilitating that a person can suffer from. They may have a significant impact on a person's daily living.

The U.S. National Library of Medicine states that it's possible to reduce the long-term effects of paralysis if treatment is started early. Treatment options include medications, different types of physical therapy, and possible surgery or braces. However, it is not currently possible to entirely reverse damage that occurs to the spine. In many cases, a person may be left dealing with long-term burdens like mobility issues that can hamper their ability to work.

What should I spend my child support on?

It can be difficult for custodial parents in Texas to raise their children largely on their own. It not only takes a toll on you emotionally to have the larger burden of child-rearing responsibility, but having sole custody is also financially challenging. This is the purpose of child support – to ease your burden and ensure the non-custodial parent is involved in financially supporting his or her children. However, you may wonder if the courts or your ex-spouse can control how you spend child support.

As FindLaw explains, child support is meant to take care of your children’s needs. When you are doing your job of keeping your children safe, healthy and secure, nobody should have a say in how you spend child support. Even so, family law courts deem some expenses as particularly acceptable for child support, especially if they address your children’s immediate needs. These may include food, medication, clothing and school supplies. You might spend a portion of child support on household items or utilities. It can also be wise to set aside some child support for an emergency or your children’s college fund.

Car accidents and nerve damage

At the Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C., in Texas, we know that a car wreck can leave you with devastating physical, emotional and financial consequences. When you receive a serious injury such as nerve damage, its effects may last for a significant period of time, during which you not only suffer substantial pain, but also may not be able to go to work.

Considering that you have billions of nerves in your body, nerve damage is one of the most common, and most serious, consequences of an auto accident. WebMD explains that you have three types of nerves as follows:

  1. Motor nerves that control your voluntary movements
  2. Autonomic nerves that control your body’s involuntary movements
  3. Sensory nerves that control not only your ability to see, hear, touch, taste and smell, but also your ability to feel pain

The deadly dangers of jackknifing

At the Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, PC, in Texas, we know how unnerving it can be to share the road, highway or freeway with 18-wheelers. They are so much larger and heavier than your passenger vehicle that you know you and your passengers are at great risk of serious injury or death should you crash into one that jackknifes right in front of you.

As explained by Evan Transportation, Inc., a jackknife is a trucking accident that its driver fears every bit as much as you do. It means that his or her cab and trailer are folding in on each other and (s)he is sure to lose control of the mammoth vehicle.

How "being strong" could be a bad move after a car accident

All your life you have been in pretty good shape, and when you recently got hurt, you downplayed the injury's effects, perhaps even to yourself. For example, when you hurt your back lifting a package, you powered through the pain for a few weeks while taking a minimum amount of over-the-counter pain medications.

Now, though, you have been in a car accident and are grappling with serious injuries, some of which may be long-lasting. It can be tempting to downplay your pain again. After all, who wants to admit, "I am in agony. I feel weak. I am scared that I will never feel well again." It is easier to tell people and yourself, "It is not so bad. I will be okay. I will do a hike today even if that means I am unable to move the rest of the day."

Special considerations in an international divorce

At the Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C., in Texas, we know that divorce is never easy. This is especially true if your nonmilitary spouse lives overseas. Not only is international law complicated, coordinating Texas divorce laws with those of any given country can be difficult at best.

As FindLaw explains, the first decision you must make is where to file for divorce. If you currently live in Texas, have lived here for at least six months, and have lived in one county for at least 90 days, you can file for divorce in that county, regardless of where your marriage took place.

3 ways to combat stress during divorce

Because stress affects each person differently, the feelings felt during a divorce can become incredibly complex. Not only does stress overshadow daily aspects of life that have suddenly changed; it can also become prominent during divorce procedures themselves. Matters can become especially difficult when children are involved. Regardless of the individual situation, the following three steps can help newly divorced Texans get back on track.  

1. Address Emotions