Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

View Our Practice Areas

Can I request supervised visitation in my divorce?

You, like so many parents across the state of Texas, may have serious concerns for your child’s safety and well-being as you enter into divorce proceedings. You may be afraid that your child could be subjected to mistreatment in the hands of his or her other parent. It could also be a possibility that your soon-to-be ex-husband or wife would not comply with the terms of your child custody and visitation order. In any case, it is helpful to know when supervised visitation is necessary, and how it can be established in your case.

According to, supervised visitation is often considered in cases involving a history of family violence. Both parents have rights to their children under Texas state family law guidelines, and so reasonable efforts are taken to ensure that both parents have consistent access to their kids. If there is evidence to suggest that abuse has occurred in your family in the past, or may occur in the future, you could petition the court to arrange supervised visits for your child’s other parent. Depending on your particular situation, however, you may be required to show evidence supporting your claims of potential harm to your child.

The type of supervised visitation that is arranged in your case could depend upon a number of factors, including the nature of your concerns. For instance, it may be arranged for a relative of your child to oversee parental visits with his or her other parent. A professional visitation supervisor could also be assigned to your case. Beyond that, stipulations for the location of supervised visits could be established as well. It is important to note, though, that any court-ordered supervised visitation arrangements that are made might only be temporary.

Supervised visitation plans are typically based on the unique circumstances of the family in question. Therefore, the information provided here may not apply to you or your family’s case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information