Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. - San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Call Toll Free 888.447.9456
Local Calls 210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Our first priority is our client’s health and safety. Due to COVID-19 our office is taking precautions to keep our clients and their families safe. We have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference (FaceTime or Zoom) is appropriate for you. Thank you.

Enforcing child support obligations through a license suspension

Here at the Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C., we work with many clients who are struggling to get their ex-spouses to honor their child support agreements. If you are like most of those we have helped to resolve this issue, then you are probably not aware of the many methods the state is allowed to employ to collect un-paid child support. One such method that often proves to be extremely effective is suspending an obliged parent’s driver’s license.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, the state has the right to either suspend your ex-spouse’s current driver’s license, or prohibit him or her from being issues a new one while delinquent on his or her child support payments. In such a case, a promise to pay is often not enough to remove the suspension; it remains in effect until the DPS is notified by the state that the matter has either been stayed or resolved.

The request to suspend a driver’s license for past-due child support comes from the Child Support Division of the Texas Attorney General’s office. If along with not receiving your child support payments, you are unable to locate your ex-spouse, the Attorney General’s office can do that for you. You simply need to file a request with them, including any information that might be helpful in determining his or her current location.

While you are unable to specifically request that the Attorney General suspend your ex-spouse’s license, providing him or her with specific information such as his or her social security number (or even his or her license number, if you have it) can allow access the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles database.

For more information on child support enforcement, please continue to browse through our site. 

Contact Form

  Email Us For A Response

Office Location

Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.
325 S Flores St.,
San Antonio, TX 78204

Toll Free: 888-447-9456
Phone: 210-807-8158
Fax: 210-227-5353
San Antonio Law Office Map

Review Us
FindLaw Network