Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. - San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Call Toll Free 888.447.9456
Local Calls 210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Our first priority is our client’s health and safety. Due to COVID-19 our office is taking precautions to keep our clients and their families safe. We have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference (FaceTime or Zoom) is appropriate for you. Thank you.

How can you get the court to enforce an order for child support?

If you happen to be owed a child support obligation from your ex-spouse in San Antonio, you may find the actually collecting your payments could end being much more difficult than earning the right to receive them in the first place. So what are you to do if your spouse misses his or her payments?

You can find the guidelines for enforcement of an order for child support in Chapter 157 of Title 5 of the Texas Family Code. It states that in order for you to have the court enforce the terms of your agreement, a motion must be filed containing the following information:

  •          The total amount that your ex-spouse owes up the current date according to the terms of his or her obligation, broken down into what has been paid and what is still owed.
  •          The dates that payments were missed, along with amounts still owed and the amounts of those arrears your ex-spouse may have already paid.
  •          An official record of past child support payments.

If your child is also receiving welfare assistance through the Social Security Administration, then you may also request in your order for enforcement of your child support agreement that your ex-spouse be made to work to meet his or her obligation according to federal mandatory work requirements, provided he or she is not incapacitated.

It also states in Chapter 157 that your ex-spouse can still be found in contempt of failing to pay child support if you file your motion within two years of your child becoming an adult or the terms of your child support order ending. If you are requesting a cumulative money judgment for the amount owed, that time limit extends to 10 years.


Contact Form

  Email Us For A Response

Office Location

Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.
325 S Flores St.,
San Antonio, TX 78204

Toll Free: 888-447-9456
Phone: 210-807-8158
Fax: 210-227-5353
San Antonio Law Office Map

Review Us
FindLaw Network