Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. - San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Call Toll Free 888.447.9456
Local Calls 210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Our first priority is our client’s health and safety. Due to COVID-19 our office is taking precautions to keep our clients and their families safe. We have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference (FaceTime or Zoom) is appropriate for you. Thank you.

How do you register your child custody agreement in Texas?

Divorced parents in San Antonio often find that any changes to their material or geographical circumstances can dramatically impact their child custody agreements. Say, for example, that you just moved to Texas, yet your ex-spouse lives in another state with your kids. Can you ask a Texas family court to modify your agreement in light of your new situation?

You may indeed request that local courts review your custody arrangement, yet only if you follow the steps required to register your child custody agreement here in the state. According to the Texas Family Code, this can be done by submitting the following information to the court in the county in which you intend to seek the modification:

  •          A letter formally requesting registration
  •          Two copies of your original custody agreement (one must be certified)
  •          Both yours and your ex-spouse’s names and addresses

Upon receiving this information, the court will inform your ex-spouse of your intentions and provide him or her with the chance to contest the registration. He or she then has 20 days from the date of having received his or her notification to request a hearing. The law goes on to state that the only way for him or her to stop the registration is to show that your original agreement has been vacated or modified by the court that initially issued it, or that said court did not have jurisdiction over your case when it established your custody determination. A failure to receive notification of your intent to register your agreement locally is also viewed as justifiable grounds to contest your petition.

If, while awaiting to have your case heard, your ex-spouse tries to keep your children from seeing you, a local court can issue a temporary visitation order enforcing the terms of your original agreement. 

Contact Form

  Email Us For A Response

Office Location

Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.
325 S Flores St.,
San Antonio, TX 78204

Toll Free: 888-447-9456
Phone: 210-807-8158
Fax: 210-227-5353
San Antonio Law Office Map

Review Us
FindLaw Network