Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. - San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Call Toll Free 888.447.9456
Local Calls 210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Our first priority is our client’s health and safety. Due to COVID-19 our office is taking precautions to keep our clients and their families safe. We have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference (FaceTime or Zoom) is appropriate for you. Thank you.

Cases of unmarried couples having children together are not infrequent in San Antonio. If you happened to father a child with a woman to whom you are not married, you are not unlike many of those that we here at The Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. have worked with in the past. And just like those past clients, your decision to not marry your child’s mother may not necessarily impact the love you feel towards him or her. Yet in such a case, how are you to prevent your child’s mother from terminating your parental rights and/or putting your child up for adoption? 

According to Section 160.402 of the Texas Family Code, you are entitled to receive notice of any proceeding regarding your parental rights provided that you have already registered with the state’s registry of paternity prior to or within 31 days of your child having been born. You may want to consider taking this step immediately after learning that the mother is expecting in order to avoid any issues altogether. 

What if, however, you fail to do this? Say the child’s mother shares little information with you regarding her pregnancy or the child’s birth. In such a situation, you still have the right to remain informed of the potential of your child being adopted or your rights being changed if you commence proceedings to prove your child’s paternity prior to your parental rights being terminated. The same is true if you have already established a parental relationship with your child. Keep in mind, however, that a failure on your part to act or register your paternity in a timely manner may prompt the state to automatically terminate your rights. 

You can learn more about your rights as an unmarried father by continuing to explore our site. 

Contact Form

  Email Us For A Response

Office Location

Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.
325 S Flores St.,
San Antonio, TX 78204

Toll Free: 888-447-9456
Phone: 210-807-8158
Fax: 210-227-5353
San Antonio Law Office Map

Review Us
FindLaw Network