Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. - San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Call Toll Free 888.447.9456
Local Calls 210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Our first priority is our client’s health and safety. Due to COVID-19 our office is taking precautions to keep our clients and their families safe. We have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference (FaceTime or Zoom) is appropriate for you. Thank you.

How does child support enforcement work in Texas?

The money you receive from your ex-husband is essential for your children’s well-being and comfort. Unfortunately, your ex is not always reliable in paying child support, and if the payments you receive are becoming fewer and farther between, you are not alone. Custodial parents across Texas are not receiving the court-ordered child support due from their exes.

It may be difficult for your ex to pay child support – the cost of living is high, and he may have lost his job or is making less money than he made at the time the support order went into effect. Regardless of the reasons for not paying, it is the responsibility of the paying parent to tell the court if he or she is having trouble making payments. Failure to do so can result in child support enforcement measures taken against your ex. These may include the following:

  • The state withholding wages and intercepting tax refunds
  • A lien filed by the state against property or assets your ex owns
  • Suspension of your ex’s driver’s license, professional license, and hunting and fishing licenses after child support is more than three months overdue

If these measures fail to produce child support from your ex, you may file a lawsuit against him, and law enforcement may arrest him for non-payment. It does not matter if he lives in another state. Each state must cooperate with one another over reporting and collecting child support payments.

You may also wonder if you can keep your ex from visiting your children if he is not paying child support. This would be a bad idea if you have a visitation plan in place. Both parents have the right to a relationship with the children if the court has ordered it, and you may face consequences for violating the terms of a custody agreement. If you are having trouble collecting child support, your best course of action is to seek legal counsel and keep in touch with the state child support office.

Contact Form

  Email Us For A Response

Office Location

Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.
325 S Flores St.,
San Antonio, TX 78204

Toll Free: 888-447-9456
Phone: 210-807-8158
Fax: 210-227-5353
San Antonio Law Office Map

Review Us
FindLaw Network