Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. - San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Call Toll Free 888.447.9456
Local Calls 210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

Make Payment Lawpay

Our first priority is our client’s health and safety. Due to COVID-19 our office is taking precautions to keep our clients and their families safe. We have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference (FaceTime or Zoom) is appropriate for you. Thank you.

What is the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction?

When you fall in love with and marry someone from a foreign country, you live a true international love story. Unfortunately, if your marriage goes sour, your life can become quite complicated, especially if you have children. Whether you stay married or obtain a Texas divorce, your spouse or ex-spouse may decide to take the children overseas, supposedly to visit his or her relatives. Once there, however, (s)he then refuses to return the children to you and their home in the United States.

Parental abduction represents a form of illegal kidnapping that is more common than you may realize. In the event you and your spouse are still married, or if you are divorced with a court order giving you primary custody of your children, you may be able to obtain help getting your children back via the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.

The Hague Conference on Private International Law drafted this treaty back in 1980. The 98 countries that signed it, including the United States, agreed to respect, honor and abide by each other’s child custody laws. Specifically, all 98 countries agreed to cooperate with each other to return internationally abducted children to their native countries as expeditiously as possible.

Applying to the Convention

Your first step in seeking Convention assistance must be applying to the Convention’s Central Authority in the United States with the help of your attorney. Your application must include all of the following information:

  • Identifying information for yourself, your spouse or ex-spouse, and any child currently in his or her possession
  • Date of birth of each abducted child
  • Your grounds for assistance application
  • Full information regarding your children’s current whereabouts
  • Full information regarding the person(s) you believe has or have your children

Supporting documentation

In addition to the application itself, supply whatever supporting documentation you have with regard to your children, including verified or certified copies of the following:

  • Marriage license if you and your children’s other parent are married
  • Divorce decree if you are divorced from your children’s other parent
  • Custody order
  • Parenting plan
  • Additional court document(s) proving your legal custody of your children whether sole or joint

Once the Central Authority receives your application and documentation, it will review and verify all your information. It will then work with the country where your children are to return them to you as soon as reasonably possible.

While this educational information is not legal advice, it can help you understand the Hague Convention and how it could assist you.

Contact Form

  Email Us For A Response

Office Location

Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.
325 S Flores St.,
San Antonio, TX 78204

Toll Free: 888-447-9456
Phone: 210-807-8158
Fax: 210-227-5353
San Antonio Law Office Map

Review Us
FindLaw Network