Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C.

Call Toll Free888.447.9456

Local Calls210.807.8158

Hablamos Español

View Our Practice Areas

Child Custody Archives

How do you register your child custody agreement in Texas?

Divorced parents in San Antonio often find that any changes to their material or geographical circumstances can dramatically impact their child custody agreements. Say, for example, that you just moved to Texas, yet your ex-spouse lives in another state with your kids. Can you ask a Texas family court to modify your agreement in light of your new situation?

Defining abandonment in Texas

When people in San Antonio hear the term “child abandonment,” they may conjure up the classic image of a young mother leaving her child on the doorstep of an orphanage in the middle of the night. At first glance, statistics may seem to support this assumption. Information share by the Child Welfare Information Gateway shows that as of 2014, there were over 415,000 children in foster care in the U.S. Yet many of these children’s cases may not meet the assumed definition of abandonment. In fact, each state has its own guidelines determining when a child might be considered to be abandoned.

When accusations of child abuse are proven to be false

Child custody cases in San Antonio may often become heated given both the raw emotion that the parties involved may feel towards each other and the sense that both may have that each should be awarded primary custody. Such factors may even prompt one side to level accusations of child abuse against the other in the hope that doing so will help his or her custody case.

Maintaining electronic communication with your kids

It has been our experience here at The Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. that despite any disagreements divorcing couples in San Antonio may have with each other, their love for their children remains unchanged by their marital status. Following your separation, you and your ex-spouse will likely have to work together to come up with an amicable custody agreement (or have one assigned to you by the court). Yet what if you want to continue to communicate with your children even while they are not in your custody? Would you be violating your agreement by doing so?

Three orphaned girls at the center of tribal custody battle

For young parents in San Antonio, the thrill that their new families bring to them may cause them to overlook certain matters, such as the potential guardianship of their children. While getting people in their 20s and 30s to begin to confront their own mortality may be difficult, pointing out the potential legal problems their inactions could cause may help. Without documentation stating who parents would like to see made their the guardians of their children in the event of their demise, it may be left to the courts to decide in whose custody the kids’ interests would best be served. When multiple parties claim to be able to do just that, things may be complicated.

Detailing the steps to take immediate custody of your kids

While you and your ex-spouse in San Antonio may have tried to keep your split amicable, accomplishing such a task may be difficult to do given the amount of emotion involved. As we here at The Law Office of Roland R. Esparza, P.C. have seen in previous cases, that emotion may often spill out when dealing with sensitive issues such as child custody. Some may even fear that it could prompt one spouse to do something rash that may potentially endanger his or her children. If you have this same fear, then you should know the proper steps needed to request immediate physical custody of your children.

What is an agreed parenting plan?

You may find that during child custody proceedings in San Antonio, the court may care little about the tension between you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse, and instead focus on what it believes to be best for your children. Thus, it might be more advantageous for you to work with your ex to create an agreed parenting plan. What is this? It is a method by which the two of you can retain control over your child custody arrangement.

Golf prodigy banned from competing in custody case ruling

For many of those going through a divorce in San Antonio, the fear of having control of their proceedings wrestled away from them by their soon-to-be ex-spouses may be ever present. Often, divorcing couples may be encouraged to settle the affairs regarding their separation through mediation. This allows each to retain some degree of control. If the two sides of a divorce are unable to come to a compromise, their case may then move on to a family court. There, however, they often learn that what the court thinks is best for their children may differ greatly from what both sides want.

Understanding parental alienation

Family courts in Texas may maintain the hope that when parents divorce in San Antonio, they will still be able to act amicably towards each other for the best interests of their children. Unfortunately, this may not always be the case. Recent years have seen the rise of a new issue related to child custody known as Parental Alienation Syndrome. This refers to the potential negative view a child may develop of one parent due to the influence of the other.

Who has jurisdiction if your ex moves out of state?

When you and your spouse choose to divorce, the possibility exists that he or she could choose to move away from San Antonio or even leave Texas altogether. His or her relocation could have a dramatic impact on your divorce proceedings, particularly if there are child custody issues to consider. You may then wonder which state has jurisdiction in your case.